Roles and Permissions Part 1
You want to give your CMS users access to what they need to do there job but at the same time you don't want everyone to be an administrator. We all know that bad things happen when everyone is able to do everything on a computer system , network or a CMS. Theres two ways to give access in the CMS one is permissions and the other is role. Today we are just going to be concentrating on roles , in part two we will get to permissions.
Ektron contains an Administrators User Group, any user who is a member of that group has administrator privileges.. The Roles feature breaks down the roles of an administrator in to two categorizes System Wide and Folder Specific Roles. Folder Specific roles has to do with who can View and edit the folder properties and also who can move / copy content and folders. The system wide roles deal with taxonomy, alias and meta data at a higher global level.
For my example I will be using Version 8.7. You can find Roles by clicking on the settings tab and expanding the Roles folder. Now you should see a built in and Custom Permission option. We will get back to that custom option another timer. Now expand the built-in folder and you should see a System wide and a Folder specific, when you expand either folder you will get a list of roles that you can assign a user too. Select a role, you should now have the option to add a user to that role.
Lets take a look at what some of these roles Starting with system wide.
- Alias-Admin—See Creating User-Friendly URLs with Aliasing
- Perform all URL Aliasing functions
- Perform all functions related to URL Aliasing except
- View and edit the URL Aliasing Settings screen
- Edit Aliasing rules
- Analytics Viewer—can view
- Web Traffic Analytics reports
- Analytics button on the View Content Screen
- Analytics from the Web site's Access point menu ()
- Analytics from a PageBuilder page
- Business Rule Editor—Create or edit Business Rules and Rule sets. See Creating Business Rules for Your Web Site.
- Collection andMenu Admin—Create, edit and delete collections and Menus via the Content tab
NOTE: To manage permissions for creating collections and menus via the folder’s New > Collection or New> Menu option, use folder permissions.See Also: Managing Folder Permissions
- Collection Admin—Create, edit and delete collections via the Content tab
NOTE: To manage permissions for creating collections via the folder’s New > Collection option, use folder permissions. See Also: Managing Folder Permissions
- Collection Approver—If approval is required for a collection, approve changes to it, including the deletion of a collection.
- Commerce Admin—Access the eCommerce screens in the Workarea.
- Community Admin—Perform the following community activities:
- Set system default preferences
- View and create new
- Activity Types
- Enable or Disable Notifications
- Community Group Admin—Create, edit and delete and manage all community groups.
- Community Group Create—Create and manage community groups. A user with this role can only manage community groups he has created.
- DxH Connection Admin—Create and manage DxH connections via the Workarea > Settings > Digital Experience Hub > Connect to DxH screen.
- DxH Connection User—Import and update DxH content into Ektron folders.
- MasterLayout-Create—Create and edit PageBuilder Master Layouts.
- Menu Admin—Create, edit and delete Menus via the Content tab.
NOTE: To manage permissions for creating menus via the folder’s New> Menu option, use folder permissions.
- Member Admin—Manage membership users and membership user groups. Member admin role members cannot work with Ektron users. Users assigned to this role can create, edit, and delete membership users and groups
- Message Board Admin—approve pending comments or delete existing comments on a message board.
- Metadata-Admin—View, create and edit metadata definitions.
- Multivariate Tester—Perform multivariate testing.
- Search-Admin—Create and edit Synonym Sets, Suggested Results, Integrated Search Mappings, and the Search Status screen.
- Smart Forms Admin—Create and edit Smart Forms.
- Synchronization Admin—Access the Workarea > Settings > Configuration > Synchronization screen, which lets the user perform all synchronization activities, such as
- manage sync configurations and profiles
- run a sync
- perform content and folder-level sync
- Synchronization User—
- Access the View All Synchronization Configurations screen
- View Sync logs
- Run a sync
- Sync content and folders
- Task Create—Create tasks.
- Task Delete—Delete tasks.
- Task Redirect—Redirect tasks.
- Taxonomy Administrator—Create and manage taxonomies.
- Template Configuration—View, create, update, and delete system templates.
- Translation State Admin—Change the translation status of content.
- User-Admin—Create, view, edit, and delete users and user groups.
- XLIFF-Admin—Use the Language Xport feature, which copies content into XLIFF files that can be submitted to a translation agency. Can change the translation status of content.
- Widget Synchronizer—Update widgets and edit their title, label, and parameters.
Roles allows you to give one group the right to manage Calendars, while giving another group access to managing aliasing. Now you can give the access needed to your users with out having them be full administrators or emailing your administrators with multiple daily requests .
comments powered by