Is it possible to create an eSync package for Calendar folder in Ektron?

• Hi All

I am currently trying to create a package for my Calendar folder in the content tree. So I can only update the events without needing to update the whole site. But I can not seem to find the folder in the list when trying to create the package but all other content folders are present. Is there any reason why the calendar folder is being excluded from the tree structure? Is it not possible to create a eSync package for calendar folder?

Thanks

Bobby   

Posted 1/20/2017 @ 5:17 AM
    • Posted by Bobby
    • Joined on 1/20/2017
    • 2 total posts
  • Hi Bobby,

I'm running 9.1 SP3 and see the same omission. For an official fix, you'll probably have to reach out to the Ektron Support team. As far as I know, support@ektron.com still works.

If you want to monkey around with the DB, you might be able to make this work. I don't have a functioning eSync relationship for local development, so I can't really test it without a good bit more effort, but if you want to try this, then definitely take a backup of both databases first.

Package configurations are stored as XML inside of the DB, within the dbo.CmsPackage_tbl table.

Here's a sample of the configuration XML with only one folder selected. 

<Package xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
      <Id>4b8addde-d63c-44a5-91a1-04651fa80603</Id>
      <Name>News Sync</Name>
      <Description />
      <DateModified>2017-01-20T15:39:51.17</DateModified>
      <Content />
      <Folders>
        <FolderDataIdentifier>
          <ID>76</ID>
        </FolderDataIdentifier>
      </Folders>
      <Files />   <LibraryFiles />   <PackageDefinitions>     <PackageDataIdentifier>       <PackageID>4b8addde-d63c-44a5-91a1-04651fa80603</PackageID>    </PackageDataIdentifier>
      </PackageDefinitions>
    <Taxonomy />
      <Menu />
      <Collection />
    </Package>

If you add another FolderDataIdentifier node, plus child ID node, then you can manually update the entry in the DB using something like this:

UPDATE [dbo].CmsPackage_tbl SET [CmsPackageDetail] = '<Package 
        xmlnssd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" 
        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
        <Id>4b8addde-d63c-44a5-91a1-04651fa80603</Id>
        <Name>News Sync</Name>
        <Description />
        <DateModified>2017-01-20T15:39:51.17</DateModified>
        <Content />
        <Folders>
            <FolderDataIdentifier>
                <ID>76</ID>
            </FolderDataIdentifier>
    		<FolderDataIdentifier>
                <ID>78</ID>
            </FolderDataIdentifier>
        </Folders>
        <Files />
        <LibraryFiles />
        <PackageDefinitions>
            <PackageDataIdentifier>
                <PackageID>4b8addde-d63c-44a5-91a1-04651fa80603</PackageID>
            </PackageDataIdentifier>
        </PackageDefinitions>
        <Taxonomy />
        <Menu />
        <Collection />
    </Package>' WHERE CmsPackageId = '4B8ADDDE-D63C-44A5-91A1-04651FA80603'

Once done, you should see both folders showing up in the Package definition within the Workarea.

Here's where I stopped testing, since I couldn't run a sync. But in theory, at least, this will force it to sync the Calendar folder as well as other configured items.

By all means, take every precaution before attempting the workaround. Also note that making changes to the package within the work area could very well remove this modification, so it's not a great solution especially long-term.

Best of luck.

UPDATE: Apologies for the emoticon in the middle of the code, which I've also corrected spacing for the rendering - I'd add a space or something, but then it wouldn't be any more copy/paste friendly in case you decide to go that route. Know that it's made of a semicolon : and letter x. In other words, : + x, minus the spaces and + sign.

Posted 1/20/2017 @ 4:43 PM
    • Posted by eGandalf@Brightfind
    • Joined on 1/20/2017
    • 3 total posts
  • Thanks for the descriptive response. I got in touch with Ektron support and there response was. But I will give your idea a go as well to see what comes of it. Thanks again.

Paul (EPiServer/Ektron Support)

Jan 22, 8:41 PM EST

Hi Bobby,

You cannot sync calendar events through sync packages unfortunately. The same is true for blogs as well. You will need to do a full sync to sync calendars or blogs. 

Thanks & Regards
    Paul Hayes
    Support Team

Posted 1/22/2017 @ 10:11 PM
    • Posted by Bobby
    • Joined on 1/22/2017
    • 2 total posts

What Do You Think of our New Design?

Have more to say? We’d love to hear it!